Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Appeal of the Victorian Era

If you know me, then it is no secret I love Victorian clothing!
Corsets, top hats, long, flowing skirts, gloves, the whole sha-bang.

I love the idea of getting in my Victorian formal, hopping into a horse drawn carriage on my way to a fancy tea party.

I love the Victorian aesthetic on the whole! To me, when I think of a real Lady, a Victorian silk vision comes to mind.

Now, when I say this, does that mean I wish I was born into the Victorian era?

Answer: NO!!!!

I wouldn't be allowed to vote, and unless I was born into a rich family, my life would be VERY tough.

The appeal of the Victorian era to me, is not really the era it's self, but the aesthetic. A romantic version of the era.

Think about it, when you think of the era, the horrible class system, insane asylums filling up left and right, and the struggle for women's rights are not what you first think about.

I have a more, shall we say, romanticized version of the aesthetic. Strolling arm in arm with a gentleman suitor, holding a lace parasol, sipping tea in the parlor, etc.

Fellow Victorian enthusiasts and I enjoy taking the good things out of the era, and leaving the bad things behind. In fact, I think many others like myself, would like to live in our world today, as progressive as it is, but use the fashions and chivalry from the era. Could you imagine being able to buy bustle skirts at the gap? Or corsets, top hats, and and petticoats at Wal mart? Or getting a prescription molecule at the eye doctors?

No comments:

Post a Comment